With the cost of bills on the rise in the lead-up to winter, we are all trying to save money where we can. An EPC can help to identify areas in your home that could be improved to decrease the energy consumption. Have a look at the below to become better acquainted with your property’s EPC and discover how it could save YOU money!
What is an EPC?
An EPC or ‘Energy Performance Certificate’ is a legal document comprising of 5-7 pages that measures the energy efficiency of your property from A (highest) to G (lowest).
When do you need an EPC?
You need an EPC when doing the following:
- Selling a property
- Letting a property
- Re-mortgaging a property
- Making a financial claim on a government grant scheme (e.g. Renewable Heat Incentive Scheme or the Energy Company Obligation)
Who can carry out an EPC?
An accredited EPC assessor – you can find one in your area by searching online.
How much will an EPC cost?
There is no set price for an EPC, however you can expect to pay between £40-£100. *if you market your property under Sole Agency with Hausman & Holmes and do not currently have an EPC, we will arrange this for you and cover the cost.
What will be shown on the EPC?
The EPC will give you a summary of the types of heating, insulation and lighting currently in your property and will give each a rating from 1 star (least efficient) to 5 stars (most efficient).
It will also provide recommendations on how you can improve the energy efficiency of your home and give estimated costs of each improvement and an approximation of how much money you could save each year once the alterations are made.
Examples of changes you can make to improve your property’s EPC rating:
- Switching your lightbulbs to energy efficient alternatives
- Insulating your roof, walls & floors to minimize heat loss
- Having double or triple glazing installed to your windows
- Installing a smart meter so you can better understand how much energy your property is using
- Replacing old boilers with newer, more energy efficient ones
Here at Hausman and Holmes, we have a dedicated, professional and friendly team who are happy to answer any questions you may have, so please feel free to contact us on 020 8458 8555